Tuesday 10 April 2012

Interview Questions for Newly Graduated Radiographers



Here are some questions you might (hopefully) come across. Some questions I have had, others I've heard about or read about. I also have a few tips for answers which you may or may not agree with. Let me know your thoughts or if you have any other questions you have come across.




1. Why do you want to work at this hospital/ practice?
- if you've worked there before, you might mention the great teamwork/facilities/friendly staff/fact that you learnt a lot
- if you haven't worked there, mention that you have heard great things about the workplace or that they have a good reputation. Do some research so you can be specific about their facilities, which will make it more believable that you actually want to work there!

2. What are your best qualities? 
- try and think of something that is relevant to radiography
- e.g. Organization, communication, teamwork, friendly, hardworking etc

3. What are your worst qualities?
- whatever it is, you have already improved greatly on it. The trick is thinking of something that really isn't that bad. Dont say you can't communicate or you hate working with other people but also don't say things like "I'm a perfectionist" because no one really buys that. Try something like, "I used to have trouble with time management but I have greatly improved this at uni or in pracs"

4. What should you do to confirm you have the correct patient?
- time out - ask name, DOB, address if still unsure
- if inpatient also check name band
- ask the patient what exam they are having done
- ask questions about the history you are given to ensure it matches what the patient tells you

5. What should you do if the patient refuses an x-ray?
- Check that they understand the procedure and any risks involved
- Ask their concerns - helps to gauge if they are competent to make decision
- If you are satisfied they understand what they are refusing, do not go any further with the exam and notify the referring doctor - do not force or pressure patient

6. What should your film check post exam include?
- Check name, DOB, MRNA, study/accession number on film
- Check markers are correct
- Check anatomy is correctly demonstrated (e.g. Images haven't shifted in printing)
- Check contract/brightness
- Check you have all films

7. Talk about a situation where you have had to take charge
- Doesn't have to be a radiography situation, maybe another job or uni assignment but talk about your sensational communication and organizational skills

8. What is a trauma series and in what order would you perform the images?
- Unless protocols vary between states/countries - c-spine (lat), CXR and AP pelvis in that order (order of severity)

9. What would you do if you have calls for mobile X-rays, theatre and inpatients waiting all a the same time?
- Prioritise (good time to demonstrate organization/time management skills) cases in order of severity, ask for assistance from other staff where necessary (show that you are not afraid to ask for help), communicate with referring parties, keep them inforomed of your movements so they don't think you are ignoring them

10. What projection best shows a fracture of the greater tuberosity? 
- AP shoulder in external rotation


11. What additional imaging should you consider in a FOOSH injury?
- Scaphoid if pain in snuff box, radial head if elbow pain and decreased movement

12. What additional imaging should you consider with an inversion injury of the ankle?
- Oblique foot for base of 5th fracture

13. What would you do if a 16yr girl comes in with her mother for an AXR and says she may be pregnant?
- Ask pregnancy status away from mother - she has no legal right to information
- Contact referring doctor and check if they are aware and ask how they would like to continue
- If exam is not to be performed as per doctor (most likely) do not tell mother the reason, simply state if quested that the doctor has been spoken to and feels this may not be the right test and ask them to return to doctor

14. Where would you like to be in 5 yrs?
- Mention areas of interest (e.g. CT or MRI) but be careful when those areas are not available at the location you are applying for as it may appear as though you are only using them for short-term training.
- Consider mentioning having a well-rounded skills base, still working at their practice (may sound like a sucking up answer but may also be well received!)

15. Give an example where you demonstrated excellent communication/teamwork
- May be a patient who was very uneasy with having a procedure and you talked them through it
- Very difficult patient with extensive injuries requiring many Radiographers and nurses to work together
- Try to think of (or make up) a examples where you have worked with other team members, not just Radiographers, e.g nurses, doctors, radiologists, wardsmen - wide range of health professionals showing your ability to work in amultidimensional team

General Interview Tips:
- Be confident in your answers, speak clearly - don't be afraid to ask for clarification (e.g. Sorry, I don't quite understand, is this what you mean?)
- Gauge the tone of the interview, if it is serious, remain polite and professional, if it is more light hearted, don't be afraid to have a joke or laugh with the interviewers
- Ask questions - show you have an interest in the job/workplace - Research the workplace and be aware of their facilities to show you are interested in the job
- Turn up 10 minutes before the interview, any earlier/later runs the risk of inconveniencing the interviewers
- Don't try and draw the interview out too long - they may decide they like you in a short amount of time
- Take time to think about the questions, don't just rush out with the first answer you think of
- Relax and be yourself. The more natural you are the more comfortable the interview will feel and the interviewers will have a greater idea of your personality, which is often just as important as the questions.

Do you have any more questions you have come across? Please let us know!

37 comments:

  1. Question number 13 is very important...I've had a case of a 14 year old who was pregnant...it's very important that you know whatt you're doing and talk to her doctor about it. I really liked this list, it's very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions and answers. Now all I need is an interview.

      Delete
  2. Great post... what I look for when I hire someone:

    Ethics - knowing the difference between wrong and right and choosing right.

    Loyalty - dedication to the job/institution that you are applying to - nobody wants to invest in training someone to have them leave in 6 months.

    Critical thinking - can you be presented with an abnormal situation and successfully improvise your way through.

    Works well with people - nobody likes to spend time in HR.

    Technical skills are great to have, but can also be taught... I would rather invest time in someone who has the other qualities than a "super-tech" who has a bad attitude and a sense of entitlement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree Jeremy. For us is it as much the personality as anything. We want to find someone who will fit in with our department which is generally someone who is relaxed, easy going, hardworking, friendly etc. Obviously you have to get the radiography basics right but you can sell a lot more with the right attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for putting this up. Really helpful for my first job interview following graduation. I certainlly feel much more prepared and a lot less anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These questions are the most important questions which are usually asked while interview.
    Nursing Interview Tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a great page with more details on how to use phd thesis writing to your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. According to CNN Money, employers now want to see ode to tomatoes by pablo neruda analysis very different information than what used to be the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for these, so appreciated right now by the end of my course... Whad would you suggest as a perfect questions to ask interviewers? Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. question #13 thanks for posting the answer. I had this question

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanx for tips it really helped me
    .. I was asked name the scaphoid bones, what KV and mAs would I give for a lumbar spine, What does the word Professional mean to me?. what would I do If I saw a possible NAI case?. what is clinical governance? why did I choose to apply at this Trust? Make effort to read up on the values of the company. What radiation control aspects should I be aware of in a theatre environment? When asked if I had any questions I asked if they have any preceptorship going..hope this helps. I was offered the job later on that day. I was extremely nervous but tried to force a smile and made effort not start any answer with uhm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are your qualities and what you will get more to qualify all depends on your purpose or instrument that you really want to keep it with yourself so this will all be a good step indeed. preparation for interview

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an indeed wonderful blog, I like its design:) It's my favorite color, by the way. Who needs a proficient paper writer to boost your writings?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post. These questions were helpful. I was also asked to define "clinical governance"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. samsung galaxy s8

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well,but here I never heard these types of questions in any interview. They just ask
    Do you have any experience?
    Secondly they ask some questions related to radiography like
    Radiation Doses?
    Some basic Principles?
    TLD?
    Some important x rays like chest, upper and lower extremities etc.mostly ankle joint.
    By the way it's very long topic.
    For more information plz visit
    Bachelor of Medical imaging technology (Honours)Sharda university or fb (Ameer Abass)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad to discover this post extremely valuable for me, as it contains part of data. I generally like to peruse the quality substance and this thing I found in you post. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing. Network Design Services

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... Cydia Download

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. iFile Download

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Download Cydia iOS 11.3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for this. I will like to have some of you to chat with. I have some other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Thank you for these helpful tips. I recently had an interview and all the questions were situational, I was wondering if you could make a page for that too please. Would really appreciate it and would be super helpful

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing the information.


    Dr Jolly Diagnostics- A leading best diagnostics centre and Pathology lab Delhi, provide best health care services near me at Greater Kailash Delhi, India.
    Best Diagnostic Centre in Greater Kailash Delhi

    Blood Tets Lab

    Health Checkup Packages in Delhi

    Lipid Test, Liver test, Kidney test, Thyroid
    urine test for pregnancy

    Blood Test at Home Services

    Portable X-Ray at Home Service

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing informative blog
    Book Thyrocare Total IgE Test at a discounted price- 400 only from Mediyaar. An immunoglobulin E (IgE) Test is a blood test that is used to help screen or detect allergic diseases. This test is recommended for a person showing persistent or periodic signs of allergy or when an allergen is unknown and its detection is required for effective therapy. You can keep track of your health in the best way because Mediyaar Healthcare is India's best leading health test @home service. Book Your Test with us and save a huge amount.

    ReplyDelete